About Fuller School » About Fuller School

About Fuller School

Fuller School Mission Statement

To be a place where children, families, and community learn and grow together.

The Fuller Philosophy

We believe that the purpose of elementary education is to develop the whole child and to provide a continuation of essential learning that will enable them to meet the demands of a rapidly changing society. It is our goal to supply each student with basic facts and experiences that will aid them in becoming self-sufficient individuals mentally, physically, socially, and morally. It is essential to instill in each student the importance of individual worth and to develop a positive self-image through the personal development of initiative, resourcefulness, and responsibility.

It is the intent of our staff to lead students toward being disciplined, productive, informed, and fulfilled individuals. To achieve these ideas, mutual respect and understanding must be present in the learning process on the part of all participants - the school staff, students and community.

The History of Fuller School

The first Fuller School, originally known as the Spruce Street School, was built in 1867 with money donated by John H. Fuller, to accommodate children in the neighborhood.

John Houghton Fuller (1791-1869) was a Keene wool merchant, railroad official, and industrialist. He was the first president of the Ashuelot Railroad, as well as the Keene Five Cents Savings Bank and the Winchester National Bank. "Honest John" Fuller, as he was known, was one of the builders of the city of Keene. Also it was he who donated the land at the corner of Spruce and Elm Streets with frontage on Carroll Street on which the original Spruce Street School was built.

The school building on Spruce Street was 75 feet by 30 feet. It had two rooms, with four grades to a room. It had a belfry and a large brass bell to call the children to classes.

A new Fuller School was built as its present site on Elm Street in 1936, and classes and the bell were moved there. The new school was a modern, two-story brick structure with wide front steps and a belfry.

In 1963, a new auditorium was named after Lottie D. Barker, in recognition of her distinguished service and devotion to the children. Mrs. Barker was a teacher and principal at Fuller School for over thirty years from 1933 through 1963.

Extensive renovations were made in 1971 to update the building. Also at that time, a two-story, nine-room building was added to the south end of the existing school.

In 1989, a new multi-purpose room was added to the north end of the school, the library was relocated, and another two-story addition was added to the south end of the school to accommodate the growing number of students.

In the summer of 2003 the office was relocated to the center of the building to provide for a safer, more secure school.

Today, Fuller School serves approximately 300 students, kindergarten through fifth grade. The physical plant has seen extensive changes over the years, but at least two aspects of the original Fuller School have not changed. Fuller School maintains the feel of a "neighborhood" school and getting a solid education is still the focus at Fuller.

Principals of Fuller School

Katherine Moaratty 2019 - present
Emily Hartshorne 2014 - 2019
Paul Huggins 2009 - 2014
Loren Wilder 2000-2009
Joseph Cunningham 1983-2000
James Day 1977-1983
Harold Pike 1970-1977
Henry Giauque 1969-1970
Arlene Lund 1968-1969
Walter Goodnow 1963-1968
Lottie Barker 1933-1963